11/21/2009

Review of Casio Men's G-Shock Solar Atomic Watch #GW700A-9V

Casio Men's G-Shock Atomic Solar Watch #GW700A-9V

With so many fine Casio choices, and after reading numerous reviews of all the Casio Atomic Solar and Pathfinder watches, it was difficult to come down to a final decision. I had originally thought I would get a Pathfinder model, but the significantly higher cost and likely bulkier size steered me to the G-Shock models, and I could not be more pleased.

Since this is, after all, a watch, the most important feature to me was accuracy. Casio's website (http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/GW700_Series/product/GW700A-9V/)indicates +/-15 seconds per month. I think that is probably conservative, but certainly acceptable, even without Atomic Timekeeping. Based on my relative short term use, I'm guessing it will probably end up being closer to 5 seconds per month, again without atomic updating.

Atomic Timekeeping:

In viewing many of the Casio watches which have this feature, the reviews seemed to be mixed, with a significant number saying the feature (or lack thereof) was very disappointing. Living in Mayberry (Mount Airy, NC,) a pretty good distance from Fort Collins, I had to assume that I would probably not be able to get the signal. So did I still want the watch, at a price thatcertainly included such a sophisticated feature ? Sure, why not. I could always return it.

The first night after I got the watch, I followed the directions and placed it in a window, facing southwest, which was the best that I could do. And wonder of all wonders, the next morning it had synced with the radio signal!! Notice the small circular dial on the lower right corner of the watch face. That now has the letter "G" in the circle, indicating a strong signal was received. Pressing the receive button in the lower right corner shows the time of the sync. The next night, I left the watch on the night table next to my bed. Again a successful sync. The next night, I left it in another room on a bedside table, not near a window. Again, the sync was successful.I kept the watch "stand" that came with the watch. It seems just right for synching purposes.

Solar Power:

Casio says this watch has "Tough Solar Power." I'm not sure how that differs from regular solar power, but when I got the watch, it was already set to the proper time, day of the week, and date. The small solar strength arrow on the left side of the watch face indicated that the battery had a "middle charge." I placed the watch face up under an incandescent lamp for a couple of hours. The arrow moved up to "high" and has stayed there since.

Watch face:

The picture of the watch face is accurate except that the day of the week and date and month are actually darker than in the picture. There is plenty of contrast in normal lighting, and a brief touch of the "G" button below the watch face on the band quickly lightens the screen. The regular time screen shows exactly what I wanted: time, day of week, date, battery level. Other options are shown in the upper left and right of the watch face.

Watch band:

The resin band is very comfortable and has 12 holes for adjustment. I am slender and the 4th hole down from the watch is just the right size for me. So it has plenty of slots for expansion, especially in the larger direction.

Watch size and weight:

Even on my wirey arms, the watch is not too large, nor too heavy. In fact it is smaller than my old Timex Ironman, but heavier. The casio specs say it weighs slightly less than 2.4 onces. I weighed mine on a set of postal scales and it came out at just short of 2.6 onces. Again, not an issue.

I have not tested the other features of the watch, but I do not expect any surprises.

All in all this is the best watch I have ever owned, solidly built, and with the major features that I wanted, all of which perform flawlessly.




Click Here to see more reviews about: Casio Men's G-Shock Solar Atomic Watch #GW700A-9V

No comments:

Post a Comment