9/18/2009

Review of Casio Women's Baby-G Clear Jelly Shock Resistant Sports Watch #BG169-7V

As an obsessive watch wearer, who does not take it easy on watches (wear it 24-7, rock climb & take care of 2 kids under 3yrs old who pull at my watch), I have wanted a "baby G" for about 5 or 6 years now.In the past I've typically worn a Timex Ironman & Triathlon.While I've never had problems with the actual timekeeping components, i can't make it more than 9-12 months on a watch band.I was hoping that perhaps since G-shocks 'thing' is it's indestructable..ness...it would carry over to the band as well. I've only had it a few weeks, so not sure how that will pan out.Seems quite sturdy.I was also pleasantly suprised to find that it doesn't look or feel as massively large on my wrist as I expected it to (though it is by far the largest watch I've ever owned).

My problems however are as follows & I suppose I should have "read the fine print" a bit more before buying...made too many 'assumptions' from being used to Timex.

1. The indiglo does not allow more than 3 seconds of light.This means that if I forget to set my alarm after I've gone to bed, I have to get up & turn on a light to do so.I realize this is to conserve battery power, but it has annoyed me more than I expected (see #3 to know why I would need to 'reset' my alarm regularly).

2. There is no 'countdown timer'!!How can this be?What kind of sports watch has only a chrono?A G-shock apparently.I use timers incessantly & this is the biggest issue I have & clearly should have checked to make sure before buying.

3. There is only one alarm option.This is also more annoying than I would have expected.I really got used to the option to be able to set 3 different alarms with my triathlon (morning alarm, "yogurt is done incubating" alarm, "time to get the kids up so you can get to the gym in time" alarm...the list goes on.I'm doing a million things at once & loose track of time easily).

4. This is not really a problem, but a thought I had so figured I'd share: the address 'book'?In the age of cell-phones...quite unnecessary.6yrs ago when I did not have a cell (I was a late adapter), I thought it was an incredibly cool feature.However,I have not even attempted to use it (it would take hours to set that up!).

5. Another feature I don't get is the 'day alarm' or whatever it's called.You can set a date (years in advance) for an alarm to go off which you can label.I suppose if i had trouble remembering my anniversary or something??

Overall, it works fine & looks great, but it does not have the functions I really need (again...sports watch!) & has a few that I really don't need (who needs their mom's phone # while jogging?).Perhaps it's just not marketed to a 29 year old mother of two trying to fit in workout schedules & feeding schedules & using a watch as cooking timer (so I can leave the house while bread is rising & not carry around an egg timer to remind me to get back home!).I'm guessing it's geared more toward highschool/early college gals who are not training for sports competition?I'm going to try to sell it on craigslist & go back to my beloved triathlon (& deal w/the "weak" bands).

***10/9/08 update:I never did get around to selling it & thus have been stuck with the things that annoy me.But thought i'd update on the resilency:It's been just over a year & i'm just as abusive to this watch as any other i've owned & all pieces are still completely intact & showing no signs of wear.However I must add that my husband apparently disagrees on the largness aspect.He thinks it's massive & is not a fan.;)hopefully this means i'll get a timex for christmas ***



Click Here to see more reviews about: Casio Women's Baby-G Clear Jelly Shock Resistant Sports Watch #BG169-7V

No comments:

Post a Comment